Friday, January 3, 2014

Kinkade's Street. Stages of Creation

by Natasha Malyutina.

Recently I got another request to show how I create my works using photo art technique (painting over photos, matte painting, photo manipulation, etc). This was about my "The Evening Street" piece - Thomas Kinkade style.

Unfortunately, I lost the very first stages' sketches so I'll have to just mention it here without images. The piece was done for a mini-contest the task of which was to recreate the style of the great american artist Thomas Kinkade. "Painter of Light" as he characterized himself. Indeed, day or night - his works are full of somewhat special magical lighting. Apparently the key accent should have been the light itself. That's why I decided to leave complex multi-level space and numerous elements out this time. Thus, only three images were taken as a base for this work - Victorian house in the foreground, brick house in the right, and the sky. Of course I needed several additional elements that make each more or less complex photo manipulation complete.


Originally I wanted to place a car in the street having had the exact style image of an old one. It seemed to me that it could give more dynamics to the overall composition. But during the process I decided to leave it out and concentrate viewers on the street alone. This could be seen on the stage images below.

All source images are from my personal archive. :)

Usually I start each work with raw placements of the base elements. In this case these base elements practically created the wanted landscape:

Then I add other elements, street lanterns, try to fit another tree.

Then I make foreground more complex, add colors, swap the fence with a new one - it would've taken me much more time to enhance or redraw existing one. I get rid of the white part on the house in the right, try the car in.

To tell the truth this is my favorite stage in the process - place and retouch all little pieces as realistically as possible so that the viewer believes that everything was like that from beginning. Strictly speaking the main part of direct collaging ends here. After that artistic part starts. We'll need to put everything together, create light, shadows, atmosphere...

I turn on the lanterns and light inside the house... I retouch the image, paint missing fragments over it or replace poor quality elements where necessary. I make the road wet by adding reflexions to it.

I continue with detailing, add volume, remove unneeded elements that create chaos on the canvas.

Second to last stage - I emphasize the light, add shadows, create a so called "atmosphere".

This is pretty much it. Some personal tricks on upper layers and here we go - finished masterpiece :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the detail.. Dearie..but i want to ask you one more question which software are you using to make these type of stunning pictures.. <3

    ReplyDelete